So I did draft something in Ommwriter and now it’s disappeared on me.
How are you?
Tired. Still. It feels never-ending, but I need to look after myself more, y’know.
What have you been doing?
Sewing class – complete
Disclosure – I paid for this myself.
If you flick back to that Spring Goals post I wrote a while ago, one of the items was to complete a beginner’s sewing project. And I did, it was a very dodgy chicken.
However. I also signed up for a class at Sew Make Create and learned about the basics of machine set up, tension, stitches and feet. The second class was focused on measuring fabric, grain, and putting the cushion together.
Michelle is a great teacher, incredibly patient and encouraging. I needed a lot of coaching through the process and she was really understanding! (On the other hand, I was getting really frustrated with myself because it felt like nothing was going right – I’m literally a beginner so that doesn’t make logical sense).
The smaller class size worked a lot better for me because I could get personal attention when I was lost or needed help.
I do want to keep going and have my eye on a sewing machine – Michelle and owner Melissa were able to help me narrow down potential picks from Literally Everything to a smaller range. And learning crochet and amigurumi through their classes next year.
Finally went to Book Club
I also finally went to a book club meeting! After umming and ahhing and googling book club ettiquette (is it bad manners to turn up if you haven’t read it, or worse to sit it out? The answer – unclear!) Anyway, I ended up just asking and the organisers said to come along anyway.
And I had a great time talking to other people passionate about books! The organizers have poured a lot of love into it, from prizes and swaps to questions and trivia. I even won something by accident! It was definitely worth pushing past the discomfort and giving it a go.
Stuff I liked this week
- Childfree Tweets via Allie Hayes at Buzzfeed
- The Bad Sex in Fiction award nominees
- This crow asking if you’re alright via SWNS TV on Youtube
- Seth Everman making a triumphant return with ‘Ain’t No Sunshine’ and a Youtube Rewind reaction vid on Youtube
- I haven’t watched this yet but know that I’ll love it – Kurtis Conner is reviewing Twisted Pair on Youtube
- Basically everything I’ve seen by Davie504 so far. I love him. But in particular, his cover of Country Road, this challenge by deadmau5, and a cover of Giorno Giovanna’s theme. Plus the Italian Voice Reveal. I’ve slapped Like and Subscribe, of course. Approved.
- Eric Nam’s Runaway
- Catching up Bravest Warriors via Youtube – there’s season marathon videos.
- The way to my heart for Valentine’s Day (along with this card)
- Jesse shared this Baby Yoda video with me, and it’s pretty damn good
- Ommwriter’s Black Friday offer – they just sent a code to upgrade. It helped me write a bunch of uni assignments back on attempt #2, so I’d encourage you to take a look.
- The Chill Mug – it kept my hot chocolate hot for like 3 hours! Unfortunately it doesn’t travel well, so keep it on a stable surface.
- Too Early Old, Too Late Smart. Jeremy’s quest to pick up these new skills is pretty inspiring.
- Queer & Careered: How I Use Journaling to Resist at Work by Tiara DeGuzman on Autostraddle. I loved this thoughtful piece about how to incorporate journaling into your work, checking in with yourself and as a support tool. Will definitely be revisiting and using myself!
- JoJo ASMR bloopers. He also has some hot new games to sell you.
- This thread on r/bujo about how to get back into things when you are gripped by procrastination – by u/smallventures
- ‘ . . . friendship is a courtship’. I really liked the latest episode of the Smart Bitches, Trashy Podcast, with Angela James. And I really did think that the extract of The Modern Breakup was pulled out of my own brain! I’ll have to pick it up.
- Jennifer Wong’s 10 things I’m slowly learning while recovering from depression hit me right in the feels.
- Eric Nam’s cover of Bad Guy, but I think I might have linked this before?
Not really. I’ve started thinking about things I want to try next year.
Alright, see ya next week